The Sunshine Coast Real Food Festival began in 2011 with a catch cry of ‘Taste. Learn, Laugh …’. It obviously struck an accord with the foodies amongst us on the coast as it attracted some 4,000 people to its venue at the Maleny Showground.It’s pretty obvious that as a nation we have a huge infatuation with food, but really this is one opportunity to really get to know your food and the people behind it in our region.Billed as a joyful celebration of the wonderful variety of food that Sunshine Coast producers, manufacturers, retailers and restaurants have to offer, this festival offers a very real opportunity to meet and talk to the people who really grow and produce the food we eat.
This year, the second weekend of September (13th and 14th) will see Maleny once again become the centre of our food world as the fourth Sunshine Coast Food Festival kicks into gear. If only you could bottle the aroma of the fine, and very wholesome foods that waft through the air as the day goes on… there would be no need to advertise.
This year there are six venues keeping us all enlightened about our food.
- The Real Food Kitchen, sponsored by Kunara Organic Marketplace, features cooking demonstrations showcasing the skills and passion of our talented Sunshine Coast chefs (with a couple of guests).
- The Food for Thought venue, sponsored by the University of the Sunshine Coast, is where you can hear experts speak about important food-related topics, such as the connections between diet and health, the sacredness of food and how peak oil will affect our local food economy.
- Our Nourishing Ideas venue, sponsored by Jeffers Market, is the place to go for conversations about a range of topics related to diet and health. Ask questions, tell your story or just sit back and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.
- The Food Craft venue, sponsored by Buderim Ginger, is where you’ll learn tips and techniques to turn you into a kitchen whizz.
- Our Kitchen Garden venue, sponsored by Forage, is where the primary production and grow-your-own action is – here is where you’ll learn all about growing the best quality food at home.
- The Little Sprouts kids area is about fun activities that germinate a life-long passion for good food. We’ve got baby animals, puzzles, games and (of course) face painting and a jumping castle.
However there’s more than just great food on this Food Festival’s menu. Entertainment has played a big role in the success of this Sunshine Coast event and so you find plenty to amuse you whilst wondering from stall to stall as they have a full weekend of entertainment planned.
Another great Aussie icon will also be on hand during the weekend to ensure you don’t go homer empty handed. The Show Bag! We are lead to believe there will be some great deals to be had this year with a variety of suppliers offer their wares and samples, and being reusable you’ll have plenty of bags to take along on your next weekend market trip.
There is also a major competition being run this year with a fabulous prize of a luxury accommodation and meals package staying at either of the two award winning Spicers Retreats, Clovelly Estate in Montville or Tamarind Retreat in Maleny. And who wouldn’t like to indulge themselves at either of those two.
By the way you can also help make this year’s Festival a bigger success by volunteering just check out the web site for details on that and download the full 2014 Program at the same time.
Reference site: http://realfoodfestivals.com.au